Original Thoughts: Angel de Quinta's Stage Door Blog

Here Come The Tony's! ~

(Mary) Antionette Perry was a woman who merely wanted to be an actress, though her life was put on hold when she was made to become a wife of Frank Frueauff and mother of his children. Perry and Frueauff's daughters, Elaine and Margaret, followed in their fathers footsteps within the world of theater, by one becoming a producer and the other a director.
When Frueauff passed, Perry finally returned to the life she originally set out to live. She had then been referred to as "Tony," and became a producer and directer like her daughters. Tony had become the president of the American Theater Wing, the first and largest theatrical institution for stabilizing the excellence of the United States theater, as stated by Angel de Quinta in his stage blog.
Tony died suddenly of a heart attack, despite seeking medical attention for alleged heart disease. Her sudden death had a lasting effect on those personally involved with her. This largely affected Broadway. Years before her passing, she started a large project that her fellow associates continued on for her and put into practice, "The Antoinette Perry Awards," later turned the Tony's which still exists today. The Antoinette Perry Award recognizes excellence within Broadway performance, still held yearly in Manhattan.
Angel de Quinta profoundly predicted Hamilton and The Color Purple would take home a vast majority of the 2016 Tony Awards that they were nominated for. Angel de Quinta has done remarkable research for his blog; which is evident through my readings. I have now a better understanding of the history of the Tony's, as I have been watching the awards since I was a young child.
While this is not a reflection on a specific excerpt about a Broadway production, I believe since Antoinette Perry is the heart and soul of all the Broadway productions we have today, this holds great validity. 

Annie ~

My eyes immediately jumped to this excerpt when I saw it because I held the role of Annie when I was in 4th grade. I have been involved in theater since I can remember and it has been the best way I have ever known to express myself. The Broadway production of Annie has a different take, aside from Opera. I have a great appreciation for this production since it was created due to a poem composed by James Whitcomb Riley, which is based on the real life adventures of Mary Alice Smith, "Allie." A true orphan, that graciously shared her story with the world.

Comments